Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 7/8] net: stmmac: xgmac: Complete FPE support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 10:31:13 +0100

On Fri, Oct 18, 2024 at 12:13:21PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> I know this is a preposterous and heretic thing to suggest, but a person
> who isn't knee-deep in stmmac has a very hard time locating himself in
> space due to the unnecessarily complex layering. If that isn't something
> that is important, feel free to ignore.

That is driven by Serge, who seems to be driven by wanting the smallest
code possible with function pointers to abstract the minutest detail.
Like you, I disagree with this approach because it makes following the
code incredibly difficult unless one is constantly looking at it.

Serge wanted to do that to my PCS patches, and when I disagreed, he
stated basically that he'd convert the code after my patches were
merged to his style. So I deleted the patches from my tree. I've also
asked that stmmac removes its use of phylink because stmmac abuses
phylink and with Serge's attitude, it effectively makes it unfixable.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!