Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 1/2] dpll: add clock quality level attribute and op

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2024 15:41:36 +0100

Tue, Oct 29, 2024 at 02:51:29PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Oct 2024 13:52:12 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> >I thought clock-id is basically clockid_t, IOW a reference.
>> >I wish that the information about timekeepers was exposed 
>> >by the time subsystem rather than DPLL. Something like clock_getres().  
>> 
>> Hmm. From what I understand, the quality of the clock as it is defined
>> by the ITU standard is an attribute of the DPLL device. DPLL device
>> in our model is basically a board, which might combine oscillator,
>> synchronizer and possibly other devices. The clock quality is determined
>> by this combination and I understand that the ITU certification is also
>> applied to this device.
>> 
>> That's why it makes sense to have the clock quality as the DPLL
>> attribute. Makes sense?
>
>Hm, reading more carefully sounds like it's the quality of the holdover
>clock. Can we say that in the documentation? "This mainly applies when

Yes.

>the dpll lock-status is not DPLL_LOCK_STATUS_LOCKED" is a bit of a mouthful.
>I think I missed the "not" first time reading it.

Okay, will try to re-phrase to avoid confusion.

>
>Is it marked as multi-attr in case non-ITU clock quality is defined
>later? Or is it legit to set to ITU bits at once?

For non-ITU as well as for possibly advertizing quality of different ITU
options (option 1 and option 2).