Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: reformat kdoc return statements

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 16:23:59 +0000

On Fri, Nov 15, 2024 at 08:36:12AM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> kernel-doc -Wall warns about missing Return: statement for non-void
> functions. We have a number of kdocs in our headers which are missing
> the colon, IOW they use
>  * Return some value
> or
>  * Returns some value
> 
> Having the colon makes some sense, it should help kdoc parser avoid
> false positives. So add them. This is mostly done with a sed script,
> and removing the unnecessary cases (mostly the comments which aren't
> kdoc).

I wonder about this... I suspect it's going to be a constant battle to
ensure that docs use Return: or Returns: because it's not "natural"
when writing documentation.

Maybe the tooling should accept a sentence starting "Return(s?)" and
convert it to "Return(s):" in generated documentation?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!