Subject: Re: net vs net-next conflicts while cross merging

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2024 13:29:07 +0000

On Tue, Nov 19, 2024 at 02:15:07PM +0100, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> @Russel, @Jiawen: could you please double check that the resolution is
> correct?

Will do, but... Linus has recently been ranting to Andrew about latin-1
vs UTF-8 messing up the spelling of people's names. I find this
somewhat hypocritical. Each time I see this kind of thing, it makes me
sick.

As someone who's name regularly gets mis-spelled (for god knows what
reason...)

Either we care about correct spelling of people's names, or we don't.
If we do, then more effort needs to be made to spell my name correctly.
If we don't, then I'll stop complaining. However, we can't have "we
must spell non-latin-1 names correctly" but then go and consistently mis-
spell other people's names and not bat an eye.

I'm asking for equality please.

(And yes, my name does and has been mis-spelled in commits merged into
the kernel.)

> I solved the phy.h conflict as reported here:
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Looks fine to me.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!