Subject: RE: [PATCH net-next 1/2] be2net: set temperature value for all adapter's functions

From: Sathya Perla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:18:13 +0530

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Guilherme G. Piccoli [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Temperature values on be2net driver are made available to userspace via
hwmon abstraction, so tools like lm-
> sensors can present them to the user.
> The driver provides hwmon structures for each adapter's function.
> Nevertheless, the temperature information come from fw queries performed
by
> be_worker() with some frequency, and this procedure is called with a
single function as argument; this means
> that the temperature value is updated only in the specific function that
was passed to be_worker().
>
> This can lead to incongruency in reported temperature by a function, or
in a worse scenario, some functions
> might be unable to provide temperature info to userspace, if they
weren't fed with this information from fw in
> be_worker() run.

Hi, I'm wondering if you are OK with the temperature value being 128s old
(2/2 patch), then why is it a problem
if two different functions report a temperature value that is queried a
few seconds apart?
Also, you'll not have a scenario where the FW cmd succeeds for one
function and fails for other functions.
It's a common FW for the entire adapter.

>
> This patch changes the way temperature is set in be2net driver. At
anytime the fw query is performed, it will set
> the temperature value for all functions of the adapter, instead of only
setting the temperature of the function
> passed to be_worker().
If the possible inconsistency across functions is indeed a problem, then a
simpler solution would be to
issue the FW cmd synchronously when the sysfs attr is read, i.e., in
be_hwmon_show_temp() routine itself.

thanks!
-Sathya