Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next] net: phylink: always config mac for (delayed) phy

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2025 09:48:06 +0100

On Mon, Jun 02, 2025 at 10:19:22AM +0300, Ilya K wrote:
> On 2025-01-09 12:15, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2025 at 09:56:17AM +0100, Eric Woudstra wrote:
> > I'll look at what we can do for this today.
> Hey folks, don't really want to necrobump this, but the original hack patch is the only way I can get my weirdo Realtek (noticing a pattern here) GPON modem-on-a-stick to probe at 2500base-x on a BPi-R4. I've actually tracked down the issue myself and wrote basically the same patch first :( Is there anything I can do (with my extremely limited phylink understanding) to help move this forward so other people don't have to suffer like I did?

There were two issues that were identified. The first was that when in
2500Base-X mode, the PCS wasn't reporting link-up. That was addressed
by the patch series:

[email-masked]

then, the replacement for Eric's patch was:

[email-masked]

So the problem should be solved with these applied, as when the PHY is
attached, "changed" will always be true, which is in effect what Eric's
patch was doing, but in a cleaner way.

Please confirm that you have all six patches applied.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!