Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/3] net: stmmac: Move subsecond increment configuration in dedicated helper

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2025 16:06:46 +0100

On Wed, Oct 15, 2025 at 12:27:21PM +0200, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> +static void stmmac_update_subsecond_increment(struct stmmac_priv *priv)
> +{
> +	bool xmac = priv->plat->has_gmac4 || priv->plat->has_xgmac;

Just to say that I have patches that get rid of these has_xxx flags for
the cores, and these changes (and the additional platform glue patches
that have been posted) will conflict with them.

Given the rate of change in stmmac, at some point we're going to have
to work out some way of stopping stmmac development to get such an
invasive cleanup change merged - but with my variability and pressures
on the time I can spend even submitting patches, I've no idea how that
will work... I was going to send them right at the start of this
cycle, but various appointments on Monday and Tuesday this week plus
work pressures prevented that happening.

So, I decided instead to send out the first stmmac PCS series... which
means I now need to wait for that to be merged before I can think about
sending out anything else stmmac-related. (and there's more PCS patches
to come beyond the 14 I sent today.)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!