Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/5] net: stmmac: more cleanups

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2025 17:09:07 +0100

The subject for the cover message is wearing thin as I've used it a
number of times, but the scope for cleaning up the driver continues,
and continue it will do, because this is just a small fraction of the
queue.

1. make a better job of one of my previous commits, moving the holding
   of the lock into stmmac_mdio.c

2. move the mac_finish() method to be in-order with the layout of
   struct phylink_mac_ops - this order was chosen because it reflects
   the order that the methods are called, thus making the flow more
   obvious when reading code.

3. continuing on the "removal of stuff that doesn't need to happen",
   patch 3 removes the phylink_speed_(up|down) out of the path that
   is used for MTU changes - we really don't need to fiddle with the
   PHY advertisement when changing the MTU!

4. clean up tc_init()'s initialisation of flow_entries_max - this is
   the sole place that this is written, and we might as well make the
   code more easy to follow.

5. stmmac_phy_setup() really confuses me when I read the code, it's
   not really about PHY setup, but about phylink setup. So, name its
   name reflect its functionality.

 .../ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-dwc-qos-eth.c    |  4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.h       |  2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  | 49 +++++++++++-----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_mdio.c  | 14 +++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_tc.c    |  6 +--
 5 files changed, 46 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!