Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] bonding: show master index when dumping slave info

From: Hangbin Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2025 09:52:49 +0000

On Fri, Oct 17, 2025 at 11:56:55AM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Fri, Oct 17, 2025 at 08:10:09AM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> >On 10/17/25 06:03, Hangbin Liu wrote:
> >> Currently, there is no straightforward way to obtain the master/slave
> >> relationship via netlink. Users have to retrieve all slaves through sysfs
> >> to determine these relationships.
> >> 
> >
> >How about IFLA_MASTER? Why not use that?
> 
> It's been there for a decade. Plus is, it exposes master for all
> slave-master devices. Odd that you missed it.

Once, I wanted to find the slaves from a master interface but couldn’t. So I
added it to my to-do list. Later, I noticed that the master information was
already available in the slave, but I forgot about it after long time.
Recently, when I reviewed my to-do list, I realized that printing all slaves
from the master interface seemed impractical. So I tried to list the master
information in the slave again — and forgot about IFLA_MASTER...

Hangbin