Subject: Re: [PATCH net v2 1/1] i40e: xsk: advance next_to_clean on status descriptors

From: Your Name <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2025 03:28:26 +1100

On Wed, Oct 22, 2025 at 05:41:06AM +0000, Sarkar, Tirthendu wrote:
> > From: Jason Xing <[email-masked]>
> 
> I believe the issue is not that status_descriptor is getting into
> multi-buffer packet but not updating next_to_clean results in
> I40E_DESC_UNUSED() to return incorrect values.

I don't think this is true? next_to_clean can be < next_to_process by
design, see

	if (next_to_process != next_to_clean)
		first = *i40e_rx_bi(rx_ring, next_to_clean);

at the start of i40e_clean_rx_irq_zc. This condition is normal and means
when we exited the function - for example because we ran out of budget - 
we were in the middle of a multi-buffer packet and now we must continue.

If I understand the code, I think that in that case we just set
entries_to_alloc to a lower number and return fewer buffers to the
hardware. 

> A similar issue was
> reported and fixed on the non-ZC path:
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

This is indeed exactly the same issue, but I'm not yet sold on the
diagnosis :D 

Ciao,
Alessandro