Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/8] net: stmmac: hwif.c cleanups

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2025 13:48:23 +0100

Hi,

This series cleans up hwif.c:

- move the reading of the version information out of stmmac_hwif_init()
  into its own function, stmmac_get_version(), storing the result in a
  new struct.

- simplify stmmac_get_version().

- read the version register once, passing it to stmmac_get_id() and
  stmmac_get_dev_id().

- move stmmac_get_id() and stmmac_get_dev_id() into
  stmmac_get_version()

- define version register fields and use FIELD_GET() to decode

- start tackling the big loop in stmmac_hwif_init() - provide a
  function, stmmac_hwif_find(), which looks up the hwif entry, thus
  making a much smaller loop, which improves readability of this code.

- change the use of '^' to '!=' when comparing the dev_id, which is
  what is really meant here.

- reorganise the test after calling stmmac_hwif_init() so that we
  handle the error case in the indented code, and the success case
  with no indent, which is the classical arrangement.

---
v2:
- fix "verison" typo, impacting patches 2, 3, and 4.
- added reviewed-by / tested-bys

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/common.h |   3 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.c   | 166 +++++++++++++++------------
 2 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 71 deletions(-)
 
-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!