Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 3/3] net: stmmac: add support specifying PCS supported interfaces

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2025 10:40:44 +0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2025 at 10:35:00AM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> Thanks for giving Jakub a reason to mark this "changes required." :D
> I'm not really expecting this to be merged as-is. So why didn't I
> post it as RFC? Too many people see "RFC" as a sign to ignore the
> patch series. Some people claim that "RFC" means it isn't ready and
> thus isn't worth reviewing/testing/etc. I say to those people... I
> can learn their game and work around their behaviour.
> 
> Yes, it will need a better commit log, but what I'm much much more
> interested in is having people who are using the integrated PCS (in
> SGMII mode as that's all we support) to test this, especially
> dwmac-qcom-ethqos folk.
> 
> The 2.5G support was submitted by Sneh Shah, and my attempts to make
> contact have resulted in no response.

I should add - I'm expecting dwmac-qcom-ethqos to reveal that we need
to include 2500BASE-X for the PCS, and possibly 1000BASE-X as well
(which in dwmac terms uses the TBI interface to a platform integrator
provided serdes block.)

The most important thing is for people with the hardware that would be
affected by these patches to test. However, I'm expecting no testing
feedback from such people based on experience - it seems stmmac is rife
for "throw code over the wall into mainline and run away" behaviour. :(

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!