Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/3] net: stmmac: phylink PCS conversion part 3 (dodgy stuff)

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2025 10:47:27 +0000

On Mon, Nov 03, 2025 at 03:48:53PM +0530, Mohd Ayaan Anwar wrote:
> My rate-matching patch was for IQ8 which has the QCA808X PHY. I am
> putting its testing on hold until we sort everything out on QCS9100
> first.
> 
> So, for AQR115C, what should be the way forward? It has support for rate
> matching. For 10M should I remove its .get_rate_matching callback?

Yes, AQR115C has support for rate matching, but it depends how the
firmware is configured. Different firmwares for this PHY default to
different settings for this.

Some operate at a fixed speed on the host interface and do rate
matching. Others don't. The registers in the PHY can be reprogrammed
to change this behaviour and the PHY reset to change the provisioned
firmware's behaviour, but mainline doesn't have that code.

If you enable debugging in drivers/net/phy/aquantia/aquantia_main.c,
then aqr_gen2_read_global_syscfg() will print its configuration for
each speed via:

	"Media speed %d uses host interface %s with %s\n"

messages. Unfortunately, aqr_gen2_get_rate_matching() does not take
account of this configuration, and just assumes they're all the
same (reporting rate adaption for 2500BASE-X and 10GBASE-R interfaces.)

One thing occurs to me is maybe your PHY firmware is provisioned for
rate adaption with the 2500BASE-X interface for 1G and 100M speeds,
but for 10M, it's using SGMII. The above messages will tell us.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!