Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 14/15] net: dsa: sja1105: replace mdiobus-pcs with xpcs-plat driver

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2025 12:32:37 +0000

On Wed, Nov 19, 2025 at 08:11:12AM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2025 13:25:22 +0200 Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> > I think it's due to the fact that the "contest" checks are fundamentally
> > so slow, that they can't be run on individual patch sets, and are run on
> > batches of patch sets merged into a single branch (of which there seem
> > to be 8 per day).
> 
> Correct, looking at the logs AFAICT coccicheck takes 25min on a
> relatively beefy machine, and we only run it on path that were actually
> modified by pending changes. We get 100+ patches a day, and 40+ series,
> and coccicheck fails relatively rarely. So on the NIPA side it's not
> worth it.

On "contest" I find when looking at patchwork, it's just best to ignore
the result that NIPA posts for that, because more often than not it
reports "fail" when there's nothing wrong.

For example, the qcom-ethqos patches - v1 passed contest, and this
morning I submitted v2. The only change was removing the double space
in patch 2. What I see in v2 is that _all_ the patches failed contest,
even those that are unchanged and previously passed. This makes
contest unreliable and IMHO misleading - and as such I hate it.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!