Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] net: sfp: add SMBus I2C block support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2026 16:28:43 +0000

On Mon, Jan 05, 2026 at 04:12:42PM +0000, Jonas Jelonek wrote:
> base-commit: c303e8b86d9dbd6868f5216272973292f7f3b7f1
> prerequisite-patch-id: ae039dad1e17867fce9182b6b36ac3b1926b254a

This seems to be almost useless information. While base-commit exists
in the net-next tree, commit ae039dad1e17867fce9182b6b36ac3b1926b254a
doesn't exist in either net-next nor net trees.

My guess is you applied Maxime's patch locally, and that is the
commit ID of that patch.

Given that Maxime's patch is targetting the net tree (because it's
a fix), and your patch is new development, so is for net-next, you
either need to:
- wait until Maxime's patch has been merged, and then the net tree
  has been merged into net-next.
or:
- resend without Maxime's patch.

In either case, please read https://docs.kernel.org/process/maintainer-netdev.html
In particular, the salient points are:
- no resends in under 24 hours (see point 1.6.7)
- specify the tree that your patch is targetting in the subject line
  (see point 1.6.1) E.g. [PATCH net-next v...] net: blah blah

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!