Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] net: sfp: add SMBus I2C block support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2026 17:13:45 +0000

On Mon, Jan 05, 2026 at 05:53:42PM +0100, Jonas Jelonek wrote:
> Hi Russell,
> 
> On 05.01.26 17:28, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 05, 2026 at 04:12:42PM +0000, Jonas Jelonek wrote:
> >> base-commit: c303e8b86d9dbd6868f5216272973292f7f3b7f1
> >> prerequisite-patch-id: ae039dad1e17867fce9182b6b36ac3b1926b254a
> > This seems to be almost useless information. While base-commit exists
> > in the net-next tree, commit ae039dad1e17867fce9182b6b36ac3b1926b254a
> > doesn't exist in either net-next nor net trees.
> >
> > My guess is you applied Maxime's patch locally, and that is the
> > commit ID of that patch.
> 
> This was supposed to be the stable patch-id obtained with 
> 'git patch-id --stable'.

Hmm, didn't know about that... but in this context, I wonder how
useful it is. As a maintainer, given that patches submitted don't
specify their patch-id, tracking down which patch is the
pre-requisit would be a mammoth task, whereas a lore.kernel.org
link would indicate the pre-requisit immediately.

lore.kernel.org links are easy:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/<message id of the email containing the patch>

I can see patch-ids are useful for automation, but lore.kernel.org
URLs are useful for humans.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!