Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] net: ethernet: mtk_eth_soc: avoid writing to ESW registers on MT7628

From: Joris Vaišvila <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2026 22:09:49 +0200

Hi Simon and Jakub, 
Thank you for the review.

> registering alternate phy ops for MT7628. This would push the conditional
> handling to probe rather than calback execution time. And I suspect it
> would lead to a cleaner implementation.

I wanted to keep the fix minimal and overlooked this as a potential
solution. This will make the next revision way easier to follow.

> Plus the commit message says: "Existing drivers never use the affected
> features, so this went unnoticed." which makes it sound like user will
> not notice the bad writes today?
> 
> So perhaps we can go for the cleaner approach and stick to net-next
> (without fixing the older kernels?). Sorry for not reading the commit
> message closely enough on v1.

Yes, current users should not be affected by the bug. I only ran into it
while kernel hacking. The fix is not necessary to add to older kernels.

Following your suggestions, v3 will target net-next and use separate phy
ops for clarity.