Subject: Re: Re: [PATCH v1 1/2] dt-bindings: ethernet: eswin: add clock sampling control

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2026 16:03:00 +0000

On Thu, Jan 22, 2026 at 02:27:34PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > We also intend
> > to upstream complete DTS files for EIC7700 so the bindings can be validated
> > against real hardware.
> 
> I suggest you prioritise this. ARM-SOC is pretty flexible for
> accepting work in progress support for new SoCs. All you really need
> is for the board to boot to a login prompt on a serial port using an
> initramsfs. So the .dtsi and .dts file can be very slim, CPUs, memory
> and UARTs.
> 
> Once you have that merged you can work on the other drivers, their
> bindings, etc.
> 
> As Russell pointed out, at the moment, most of the code you have in
> the kernel is unusable, so it is a candidate for being thrown out.

Indeed, and we've had drivers merged before for platforms that never
made it in, and they just hang around for decades, adding to the
maintainer's burden for no benefit what so ever.

So please, no more drivers for EIC7700 until there is functional
support for the platform, as Andrew states.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!