Subject: Re: [PATCH next 05/14] ixgbevf: Use C test for PAGE_SIZE > IXGBE_MAX_DATA_PER_TXD

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2026 15:44:25 +0000

On Wed, Jan 21, 2026 at 02:57:22PM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> From: David Laight <[email-masked]>
> 
> Compile-time tests being added to BIT() make it an 'integer constant
> expression' rather than a pre-processor expression for W=1 builds.
> 
> This means BIT() can't be used in pre-processor conditional that
> checks 'PAGE_SIZE > IXGBE_MAX_DATA_PER_TXD'.
> Change to use a normal 'if' statement, the compiler will optimise
> away the unwanted code.
> 
> Signed-off-by: David Laight <[email-masked]>

Thanks David,

Other than the motivation above, I appreciate that this removes two
#ifdefs, improving readability (subjective) and compile coverage
(objective) of this code.

As an aside: I'm Not sure what your merge plan is for this patchset, and
only it and the cover letter hit my inbox, so I'm missing context.  But
from a Networking PoV it seems that it could be sent as a stand-alone patch
to the iwl tree.

Regardless, feel free to add:

Reviewed-by: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>

...