Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/4] gro: change the BUG_ON() in gro_pull_from_frag0()

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2026 16:45:40 +0000

On Thu, Jan 22, 2026 at 04:57:17AM +0000, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Replace the BUG_ON() which never fired with a DEBUG_NET_WARN_ON_ONCE()
> 
> $ scripts/bloat-o-meter -t vmlinux.1 vmlinux.2
> add/remove: 2/2 grow/shrink: 1/1 up/down: 370/-254 (116)
> Function                                     old     new   delta
> gro_try_pull_from_frag0                        -     196    +196
> napi_gro_frags                               771     929    +158
> __pfx_gro_try_pull_from_frag0                  -      16     +16
> __pfx_gro_pull_from_frag0                     16       -     -16
> dev_gro_receive                             1514    1464     -50
> gro_pull_from_frag0                          188       -    -188
> Total: Before=22565899, After=22566015, chg +0.00%
> 
> Signed-off-by: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>

Hi Eric,

Am I right in thinking that the motivation is to reduce this
check to zero-code in the case of !CONFIG_DEBUG_NET?