Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v11 1/1] Documentation: net: add flow control guide and document ethtool API

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2026 20:02:19 +0000

In general, I still don't like the idea of writing this documentation
in such a way that we have multiple definitions for the same controls
in multiple different locations. That is a recipe for the definitions
to diverge.

What I mean is that this proposal adds definitions for:

	ethtool -A eth0 autoneg X

separate to the definition in ethtool.h for the "autoneg" parameter in
struct ethtool_pauseparam, separate from the definition in the yaml,
which is again separate from the ethtool man page.

There should be one and only one place that is authorative, and the
other places should refer to that authorative definition, maybe with
a brief outline.

Having multiple separate definitions just leads to questions about
which one is correct if they are defined using different wordings.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!