Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next] net: stmmac: provide flag to disable EEE

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2026 00:17:06 +0000

On Mon, Feb 02, 2026 at 10:23:45PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2026 at 08:54:52PM +0200, Ovidiu Panait wrote:
> > If not, maybe this patch could be merged to add the flag that disables
> > EEE and I will just send a patch to disable EEE on our platforms as well.
> 
> We still need the flag to disable EEE for platforms where lpi_intr_o is
> logically OR'd with the other interrupts, so there's no way to ignore
> its persistent assertion.

I'll also state that we need both patches, but there's no point pushing
my original patch (to allow EEE to be disabled) unless Laurent is going
to also submit a patch to make use of the flag - the EEE disable and
Laurent's patch needs to be part of a series. We don't merge stuff that
adds facilities that have no users, because that's been proven time and
time again to be a recipe for accumulating cruft.

So, at the moment, "net: stmmac: provide flag to disable EEE" ain't
going anywhere until there's a patch that makes use of the new flag.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!