Subject: Re: Weird issue with r8169: shutdown on carrier comeback

From: Tanguy Ortolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2026 11:01:14 +0100

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Heiner Kallweit, 2026-02-02 18:25+0100:
>Thanks for the report. Interesting issue .. The network driver (r8169) has no link to the input system.
>Therefore it's likely your network manager which is causing this behavior.

I doubt it, the network is simply managed by Debian's ifupdown. Nothing 
fancy like NetworkManager for instance. By the way, I tried after 
switching to systemd-networkd, and the issue remains.

(I also tried after enabling ifplugd, which deconfigures the interface 
when a carrier loss is detected, and that does avoid the problem, just 
like when I do the same manually: shutdown only happens when I re-plug 
the cable into an interface that is still configured.)

I would more likely suspect something weird in the motherboard itself. 
But this is indeed very hard to tell. I reported the issue to the 
manufacturer as well (Trigkey), but I am not sure they will reply. I do 
not see how the r8169 driver could be responsible for that issue, I 
think it merely creates conditions in which some hardware bug appears.

But since r8168 does not trigger that issue, I felt I should report it 
just in case it could be useful. Do not waste too much time on this. :-)

Regards,

-- 
Tanguy Ortolo