Subject: Re: [PATCH] ice: mention fw_activate action along with devlink reload

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2026 16:51:45 +0000

On Mon, Feb 23, 2026 at 04:12:17PM -0800, Jacob Keller wrote:
> The ice driver reports a helpful status message when updating firmware
> indicating what action is necessary to enable the new firmware. This is
> done because some updates require power cycling or rebooting the machine
> but some can be activated via devlink.
> 
> The ice driver only supports activating firmware with the specific action
> of "fw_activate" a bare "devlink dev reload" will *not* update the
> firmware, and will only perform driver reinitialization.
> 
> Update the status message to explicitly reflect that the reload must use
> the fw_activate action.
> 
> I considered modifying the text to spell out the full command, but felt
> that was both overkill and something that would belong better as part of
> the user space program and not hard coded into the kernel driver output.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Jacob Keller <[email-masked]>
> Reviewed-by: Aleksandr Loktionov <[email-masked]>
> Reviewed-by: Przemek Kitszel <[email-masked]>

Thanks Jacob, all,

I agree that this text strikes a good balance.

Reviewed-by: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>