Subject: [PATCH net-next 00/14] net: stmmac: further cleanups

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2026 09:52:38 +0000

Hi,

Yet another bunch of patches cleaning up the stmmac driver.

We start off by cleaning up the formatting for stmmac_mac_finish(). Then
remove a plat_dat->port_node which is redundant, followed by several
descriptor methods that aren't called.

We then remove useless dwmac4 interrupt definitions, and realise that
v4.10 definitions are the same as v4.0, so get rid of those as well.
We also remove the write-only priv->hw->xlgmac member.

Next, we change priv->extend_desc and priv->chain_mode to be a boolean
and document what each of these are doing. Also do the same for
dma_cfg->fixed_burst and dma_cfg->mixed_burst.

Then, move the initialisation of dma_cfg->atds into stmmac_hw_init()
as this is where we have all the dependencies for this known, and
simplify its initialisation. Also comment what this is doing.

Finally, move the check that priv->plat->dma_cfg is present and the
programmable burst limit is set into the driver probe rather than
checking it each time we are just about to reset the dwmac core.
It is unnecessary to keep checking this. This makes a platform glue
driver fail early when it hasn't setup everything that's required
rather than when attempting to bring the netdev up for the first time.

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/common.h       |  1 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-intel.c  |  4 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_descs.c | 19 -----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_dma.c   |  2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_dma.h   |  8 -----
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_lib.c   | 36 +++-----------------
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwxgmac2_descs.c   | 18 ----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/enh_desc.c     | 18 ----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.c         |  9 +----
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.h         | 11 ------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/norm_desc.c    | 18 ----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.h       |  9 +++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  | 39 +++++++++++-----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_mdio.c  |  7 ++--
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c  |  3 --
 include/linux/stmmac.h                             |  5 ++-
 16 files changed, 37 insertions(+), 170 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!