Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 2/2 net-next] net: dsa: initial support for MT7628 embedded switch

From: Joris Vaišvila <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2026 19:23:25 +0200

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the review.

> Does "special" actually add anything useful to the naming? If there a
> "normal" tag as well? If you where to see a stack trace with
> dsa_user_special_xmit() i would think it was some sort of generic
> code. dsa_user_mt7628_xmit() is more meaningful. Especially when some
> other vendor thinks their silicon is special and want to use that name
> as well.

The "special tag" is just vendor naming. Will update the patches to
consistently refer to it as the MT7628 tag in v2.

> Although phy_read/phy_write still works, all recent DSA drivers have
> declared where own MDIO bus, and called of_mdiobus_register(). That
> would be the preferred solution.

Will fix in v2. 

> Do you have any idea what this is actually doing?
>
> Normally, a MAC driver would not touch the PHY. It would be the PHY
> driver which enables workarounds for erratas etc. 
> 
> Does this PHY support C45 over C22? Can EEE be disabled in the normal
> way, writing to the standard EEE registers?
> 
> I would try to put this code into the probe function of a PHY driver.

The PHY init was inherited from OpenWRT, I am yet to figure out the
specifics of what this is doing. I will investigate further and rework
this into a proper PHY driver for v2.