Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/7] net: stmmac: start to shrink memory usage

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2026 11:02:17 +0000

Hi,

Start shrinking stmmac's memory usage by avoiding using "int" for
members that are only used for 0/1 (boolean) values, or values that
can't be larger than 255.

In addition, as struct stmmac_dma_cfg is approximately a cache line,
shrinks below a cache line as a result of this patch set, and is
required, there is no point separately allocating this from
struct plat_stmmacenet_data. Embed it into the end of this struct
and set the existing pointer to avoid large wide-spread changes.

Lastly, add documentation for struct stmmac_dma_cfg, and document
the stmmac clocks as best we can given the driver history.

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/common.h       |   4 +-
 .../ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-dwc-qos-eth.c    |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-imx.c    |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-intel.c  |   7 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-loongson.c   |   6 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-mediatek.c   |   8 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-motorcomm.c  |   4 -
 .../ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-qcom-ethqos.c    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-s32.c    |   2 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-socfpga.c    |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-sun8i.c  |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-sunxi.c  |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-tegra.c  |   2 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac1000_core.c   |   2 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac100_core.c    |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_core.c  |   4 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwxgmac2_core.c    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.h         |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.h       |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  | 227 +++++++++++----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_pci.c   |  11 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_platform.c  |  43 ++--
 include/linux/stmmac.h                             |  93 +++++++--
 23 files changed, 239 insertions(+), 200 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!