Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Rust netlink support + use in Rust Binder

From: Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2026 21:19:06 +0000

On Sat, Mar 07, 2026 at 10:41:31AM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2026 15:12:12 +0000 Alice Ryhl wrote:
> > The C Binder driver exposes messages over netlink when transactions
> > fail, so that a userpace daemon can respond to processes with many
> > failing transactions.
> 
> Ugh, now I regret letting binder use Netlink. Should have seen this
> coming :/

To be honest, I'm not entirely happy with what Binder is using netlink
for either, but it is what it is.

> > This patch series adds netlink support from Rust, then implements an
> > equivalent API in Rust Binder.
> > 
> > As Binder only uses broadcast messages, I did not add support for other
> > kinds of messages.
> 
> Please no duplication of existing code in Rust.

The plan is certainly to get rid of C Binder, but it was unfortunately
not possible to get there without a transition period.

Alice