Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] net: stmmac: fix pinctrl management during suspend/resume

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 00:37:19 +0000

On Sat, Mar 14, 2026 at 12:44:56AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2026 at 12:08 PM Russell King (Oracle)
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2026 at 11:57:16AM +0100, Christophe Roullier wrote:
> > > In the deepest low-power modes, the pinctrl configuration is lost
> > > and is never restored if the interface is down.
> > > This commit ensures that the pinctrl state is set in all cases.
> >
> > Shouldn't the pin state be restored by the pinctrl layer?
> 
> What we have in the device core only applies "init" and "default"
> states, and provides these handles for transitioning to "sleep"
> and "default" again (like a state machine).

What I was meaning is that - for a driver using the "default" state,
if the hardware loses the pinctrl state during sleep, isn't it the
responsibility of the pinctrl driver to restore the state rather
than leaving it in whatever states it happens to be when the SoC
comes back from suspend?

If that is not the case, then don't we have a major issue where
drivers using pinctrl but do not issue any pinctrl calls in the
resume function are buggy?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!