Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 1/5] net: add ndo_update_offloads for offload computation

From: Sabrina Dubroca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2026 16:14:35 +0100

2026-03-16, 12:26:09 +0800, Hangbin Liu wrote:
> Add a new ndo_update_offloads callback to net_device_ops that allows
> devices to compute and update their offload features during feature
> updates.
> 
> This callback enables master devices to recompute their features
> based on current slave device configuration. This is particularly
> useful for bonding, bridging, team, and failover devices that need
> to aggregate features from their lower devices.
> 
> The callback is optional and only implemented by devices that need
> dynamic offload feature computation.

Maybe a dumb idea (and sorry to suggest this quite late in your
submissions): since all implementations of this callback are only
calling netdev_compute_master_upper_features(), does this need to be a
new ndo, or could this be some kind of flag within struct net_device
(2 flags since netdev_compute_master_upper_features takes a bool
argument) that changes __netdev_update_features()'s behavior? Since
the goal for the netdev_compute_master_upper_features() work was to
make this code more common, not introducing a new ndo where random
hacks can accumulate separately in each driver would maybe make more
sense?

-- 
Sabrina