Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 maybe? 0/5] net: stmmac: improve PCS support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2026 16:05:53 +0000

I am losing track of what version we're at, because each time the
series is reworked, changing the approach, which changes the
patches quite a bit, it makes it difficult. We've gone RFC to non-RFC
back to RFC and then to non-RFC again.

This series is the next of the three part series sorting out the PCS
support in stmmac, building on part 2:

	net: stmmac: qcom-ethqos: further serdes reorganisation

Similar patches have been posted previously. This series does away with
the common SerDes PHY support, instead using a flag to indicate whether
2500Mbps mode is supported (STMMAC_FLAG_SERDES_SUPPORTS_2500M.) At this
time, I have no plans to resurect the common SerDes PHY support - the
generic PHY layer implementations are just too random to consider that,
and I certainly do not want the extra work of fixing that.

Changes from RFC v3:
- only set default_an_inband if using SGMII/2500BASE-X mode.
Changes from previous non-RFC posting:
- add a patch moving default_an_inband to struct plat_stmmacenet_data
- only include the first four patches from the previous posting
- add pcs_an_restart() support for BASE-X, but only if we have
  TBI/RTBI support.

The reasoning here is that these patches should be safe to merge and
should not impact qcom-ethqos in any way.

We can then figure out how to work around qcom-ethqos hacks without
having to keep re-posting these same patches time and time again.

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/common.h       |   4 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-intel.c  |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac1000.h    |  12 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac1000_core.c   |  11 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4.h       |  10 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_core.c  |  10 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  |  13 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_pcs.c   | 156 ++++++++++++++++++++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_pcs.h   |  14 +-
 include/linux/stmmac.h                             |   3 +-
 10 files changed, 186 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!