Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 07/10] net: phy: switch to using class_find_device_by_fwnode()

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 08:59:52 +0000

On Sun, Mar 22, 2026 at 10:17:15PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2026 at 03:54:09AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > -	d = class_find_device_by_of_node(&mdio_bus_class, mdio_bus_np);
> > > +	d = class_find_device_by_fwnode(&mdio_bus_class,
> > > +					of_fwnode_handle(mdio_bus_np));
> > 
> > When you look at this, why is it better?
> 
> I think we should move as much as possible towards firmware-agnostic
> APIs and use fwnode_handle instead of device_node or software_node or
> ACPI companion. To discourage this I think we better remove
> firmware-specific APIs where we have firmware-agnostic ones and
> eventually clean up drivers that use OF- or ACPI-specific APIs.

Basically, no. This is wrong.

It may sound like a good goal, but there's an underlying issue. This
goal assumes that the firmware description in OF and ACPI are
indentical.

Sure, looking up devices by fwnode handle makes sense, but looking up
anything that is described in firmware is not suitable for this kind
of conversion, because in doing so, you effectively "port" the DT
bindings to ACPI, and it may not be suitable for ACPI.

So, please don't make wholesale changes that transfer the DT bindings
into ACPI.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!