Subject: Re: [PATCH net v5 0/3] macsec: Add support for VLAN filtering in offload mode

From: Sabrina Dubroca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 16:02:59 +0100

2026-03-23, 14:42:00 +0000, Cosmin Ratiu wrote:
> On Mon, 2026-03-23 at 15:28 +0100, Sabrina Dubroca wrote:
> > 2026-03-23, 14:36:30 +0200, Cosmin Ratiu wrote:
> > > V4:
> > > - Migrated nsim-only macsec tests to Python, usable against real
> > > hw.
> > > - Ran these tests against both nsim and mlx5.
> > > - Gave up on nsim patches since the tests no longer use them.
> > 
> > Why not? Being able to test without accessing real HW is still
> > useful.
> > 
> The tests now send macsec traffic over VLANs and nsim, it's just that
> nsim doesn't deal with VLAN filters at all and there are no stubbed
> vlan filters in debugfs, since real hw doesn't have that interface.

Since netdevsim doesn't deal with VLAN filters at all, the "tests
should be written so that they can run both against ``netdevsim`` and
a real device" bit of the docs doesn't fully apply here?

Anyway, I think the original tests had value, even if they're more
limited in some ways than traffic tests. HW/driver behavior could be
hiding problems in the stack with VLAN propagation, those simpler
tests don't have that risk.

-- 
Sabrina