Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 07/10] net: phy: switch to using class_find_device_by_fwnode()

From: Dmitry Torokhov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 15:20:52 -0700

On Mon, Mar 23, 2026 at 11:00:05PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > BTW, why would not we want to push for the unified binding? They are the
> > same pieces of hardware...
> 
> I don't think the ACPI committee would be too happy if i ask them to
> throw away their standard and just use DT.

I meant if we are introducing a new to ACPI schema... Not throwing away
existing one.

> 
> ACPI and DT are different and we just have to accept it.
> 
> Nobody really cares about describing networking hardware in ACPI, so
> there is no need to support it. KISS and keep everything DT.

OK, but even for DT I think we should be using device_property_*() and
fwnode_handle.

If there is an ACPI support for mdio it is perfectly valid to use fwnode
handle on an ACPI system to locate an instance of mdio bus. And
hopefully the caller of this function does not really need to parse
properties itself but will use mdio APIs (mii_bus).

Thanks.

-- 
Dmitry