Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 4/4] net: phy: Introduce Airoha AN8801/R Gigabit Ethernet PHY driver

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2026 15:13:19 +0000

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 01:04:15PM +0100, Louis-Alexis Eyraud wrote:
> +static int an8801r_set_wol(struct phy_device *phydev,
> +			   struct ethtool_wolinfo *wol)
> +{
> +	struct net_device *attach_dev = phydev->attached_dev;
> +	const unsigned char *macaddr = attach_dev->dev_addr;

This isn't a criticism for this patch, but a discussion point for
phylib itself.

It occurs to me that there's a weakness in the phylib interface for WoL,
specifically when WoL is enabled at the PHY, but someone then changes
the interface's MAC address - there doesn't seem to be a way for the
address programmed into the PHY to be updated. Should there be?

Do we instead expect users to disable WoL before changing the MAC for
a network interface?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!