Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] iw_cxgb3: Support "iwarp-only" interfaces to avoid 4-tuple conflicts with the host stack.

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:18:00 -0700

> > What's wrong with my suggestion of having the iwarp driver create an
 > > "iwX" interface to go with the normal "ethX" interface?  It seems
 > > simpler to me, and there's a somewhat similar precedent with how
 > > mac80211 devices create both wlan0 and wmaster0 interfaces.
 > >  - R.
 > 
 > It seemed much more painful for me to implement. :-)
 > 
 > I'll look into this, but I think for this to be done, the changes must
 > be in the cxgb3 driver, not the rdma driver, because the guts of the
 > netdev struct are all private to cxgb3.  Remember that this interface
 > needs to still do non TCP traffic (like ARP and UDP)...
 > 
 > Maybe you have something in mind here that I'm not thinking about?

No, I was just spouting off.

But the whole "create a magic alias" seems kind of unfriendly to the
user.  Maybe as you said, the cxgb3 net driver could create the alias
for the iw_cxgb3 driver?

 - R.