Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: [PATCH 01/13] QLogic VNIC: Driver - netdev implementation

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 13:42:15 -0700

> I will make sure to sign off on all patches. Should I also drop the From line
 > for the patches which I developed, since I am mailing them myself ?

It doesn't hurt to include a From: line if it is the same as the one for
the email itself, but it isn't necessary.  When I import a patch the
last From: line will be used.

 > I am using the Signed-off-by line to indicate the people who were
 > involved in the development of the patches at some stage.

That's fine.  You can read Documentation/SubmittingPatches to see the
precise legal meaning of Signed-off-by, and make sure that it applies to
everyone whose signoff you are including.  You can also add less formal
text like "X <z@foo> helped develop this patch" in the changelog entry.

 > >   > +extern cycles_t recv_ref;
 > >
 > >  seems like too generic a name to make global.  What the heck are you
 > >  using cycle_t to keep track of anyway?
 > >
 > 
 > This is being used as part of the driver internal statistics
 > collection to keep track of the time
 > elapsed between a message arriving from the EVIC indicating that it
 > has done an RDMA write of
 > an Ethernet packet to the driver memory and the driver giving the packet
 > to the network stack.

cycles don't track time (eg x86 TSC might stop for a while).  Do you
*really* need to use cycles, or are jiffies a better replacement?

 - R.