Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] [1/9] Core module symbol namespaces code and intro.

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:18:25 -0800

> Agreed. On first glance, I was intrigued but:
 > 
 > 1) Why is everyone so concerned that export symbol space is large?
 > 	- does it cost cpu or running memory?
 > 	- does it cause bugs?
 > 	- or are you just worried about "evil modules"?
 > 
 > 2) These aren't real namespaces
 > 	- all global names still have to be unique
 > 	- still have to handle the "non-modular build" namespace conflicts
 > 	- there isn't a big problem with conflicting symbols today.

Perhaps changing the name from "namespace" to "interface" would help?
Then a module could have something like

MODULE_USE_INTERFACE(foo);

and I think that makes it clearer what the advantage of this is: it
marks symbols as being part of a certain interface, requires modules
that use that interface to declare that use explicitly, and allows
reviewers to say "Hey why is this code using the scsi interface when
it's a webcam driver?"

 - R.