Subject: Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

From: Lincoln Dale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:28:15 +1000

At 08:11 AM 12/06/2002 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
>General dislike for adding features of _extremely_ limited (debugging!) use?

i would imagine that every installation of Squid on linux is interested in 
having _realistic transaction logs_ of exactly how much data was received 
and transmitted on a TCP connection.

i know of many many folk who use transaction logs from HTTP caches for 
volume-based billing.
right now, those bills are anywhere between 10% to 25% incorrect.

you call that "extremely limited"?

of course, i am doing exactly what Dave said to do -- maintaining my own 
out-of-kernel patch -- but its a pain, i'm sure it will soon conflict with 
stuff and is a damn shame - it isn't much code, but Dave seems pretty 
steadfast that he isn't interested.

damn shame that.  i think the information is on par with 
getsockopt(..,TCP_INFO,..) in terms of usefulness yet TCP_INFO is there in 
the kernel.

cheers,

lincoln.