Subject: Re: NAPI for eepro100

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:47:00 -0700 (PDT)

From: Andrey Savochkin <[email-masked]>
   Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:57:53 +0400

   On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:05:32PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
   > No, it's worse than that.
   > 
   > See how non-consistent memory is used by the eepro100 driver
   > for descriptor bits?  The skb->tail bits?
   > 
   > That is very problematic.
   
   What's the problem?
   If it isn't allowed to do, then what is the meaning of PCI_DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL
   mappings?

It's slow.  Not wrong, just inefficient.

Descriptors were meant to be done using consistent mappings, not
"pci_map_*()"'d memory.  The latter is meant to be used for long
linear DMA transfers to/from the device.  It is not meant for things
the cpu pokes small bits of data in and out of, that is what
consistent DMA memory is for.