Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] drbd: switch from genl_magic to YNL

From: Christoph Böhmwalder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2026 14:44:58 +0200

On Wed, May 06, 2026 at 02:39:24PM +0200, Christoph Böhmwalder wrote:
>DRBD's genetlink interface was defined using a custom multi-include
>macro system, genl_magic_{func,struct}.h. This system generated struct
>definitions, netlink policies, serialization functions and more
>from a single "magic" header.
>It never really caught on; DRBD is its only user, its internal macro
>jungle is next to impossible to understand, and even harder to debug.
>
>This series replaces it with the standard solution, YNL.
>The *_gen.[ch] files were created with a modified YNL generator, but
>these modifications are not shipped because the current DRBD family is
>effectively frozen.
>
>Note: this family primarily aims for compatibility with existing
>userspace. The next planned step is a new (also YNL-based) family,
>"drbd2", which will implement all the actual modern recommendations for
>new netlink families.
>
>Changes from v1:
>- Remove YNL generator patches, ship just the generated code

Sorry everyone, this series was based on an old commit and does not
compile. Please disregard and look at v3 instead.