Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 10/12] net: stmmac: tc956x: add TC956x/QPS615 support

From: Daniel Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 16:41:28 +0100

Hi Xilin

On Thu, May 07, 2026 at 09:57:26PM +0800, Xilin Wu wrote:
> Do you think if a shutdown callback like this is required? It looks like the
> driver sometimes does a MDIO MMIO read when the PCIe link is down, causing
> the board to reset due to SoC side PCIe NoC timeout.
>
> After this change, the board can always shutdown gracefully.

I've preferred controlled reboots to power cycles throughout development
and I hadn't spotted any major problems with graceful shutdown (which
isn't to say there have never crashes but generally I expect `reboot`
to provoke a reboot successfully).

Just to be sure configured my board with irq=POLL (to match your setup)
and still can't reproduce.

We mostly run Debian/systemd so there might be something happening in
userspace to sequence things nicely. However I have ruled out
NetworkManager.service and networking.service (stopped this services
does *not* tear down the network link).

Can you share a bit more about how to reproduce the problem (including
reliability of reproduction)?

Daniel.