Subject: [PATCH net] net: skbuff: propagate shared-frag marker through pskb_copy()

From: Hyunwoo Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2026 20:25:45 +0900

__pskb_copy_fclone() shallow-copies the source's frag descriptors and
bumps each page's refcount via skb_frag_ref(), then defers the rest
of the shinfo metadata to skb_copy_header().  That helper only carries
over gso_{size,segs,type} and never touches skb_shinfo()->flags, so
the destination skb keeps a reference to the same externally-owned or
page-cache-backed pages while reporting skb_has_shared_frag() as
false.

The mismatch is harmful in any in-place writer that uses
skb_has_shared_frag() to decide whether shared pages must be detoured
through skb_cow_data().  ESP input is one such writer (esp4.c,
esp6.c), and a single nft 'dup to <local>' rule -- or any other
nf_dup_ipv4() / xt_TEE caller -- is enough to land a pskb_copy()'d
skb in esp_input() with the marker stripped, letting an unprivileged
user write into the page cache of a root-owned read-only file via
authencesn-ESN stray writes.

Set SKBFL_SHARED_FRAG on the destination whenever frag descriptors
were actually moved from the source.  skb_copy() and skb_copy_expand()
share skb_copy_header() too but linearize all paged data into freshly
allocated head storage and emerge with nr_frags == 0, so
skb_has_shared_frag() returns false on its own; they need no change.

Fixes: cef401de7be8 ("net: fix possible wrong checksum generation")
Fixes: f4c50a4034e6 ("xfrm: esp: avoid in-place decrypt on shared skb frags")
Reported-by: William Bowling <[email-masked]>
Reported-by: Hyunwoo Kim <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Signed-off-by: Hyunwoo Kim <[email-masked]>
---
 net/core/skbuff.c | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/core/skbuff.c b/net/core/skbuff.c
index 7dad68e3b518..15bdec53e8d9 100644
--- a/net/core/skbuff.c
+++ b/net/core/skbuff.c
@@ -2248,6 +2248,7 @@ struct sk_buff *__pskb_copy_fclone(struct sk_buff *skb, int headroom,
 			skb_frag_ref(skb, i);
 		}
 		skb_shinfo(n)->nr_frags = i;
+		skb_shinfo(n)->flags |= skb_shinfo(skb)->flags & SKBFL_SHARED_FRAG;
 	}
 
 	if (skb_has_frag_list(skb)) {
@@ -6200,6 +6201,8 @@ bool skb_try_coalesce(struct sk_buff *to, struct sk_buff *from,
 	       from_shinfo->frags,
 	       from_shinfo->nr_frags * sizeof(skb_frag_t));
 	to_shinfo->nr_frags += from_shinfo->nr_frags;
+	if (from_shinfo->nr_frags)
+		to_shinfo->flags |= from_shinfo->flags & SKBFL_SHARED_FRAG;
 
 	if (!skb_cloned(from))
 		from_shinfo->nr_frags = 0;
-- 
2.43.0