Subject: nipa: tree selection fails for ipsec-next series?

From: Antony Antony <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2026 11:05:43 +0200

Hi Jakub,

nipa run, 1101209,  failed tree selection for my v9 series and I wanted to 
share what I found while diagnosing it. I feel this happens on patches, ipsec-next,  
too.  In the past, I ignored it. Since this patch set is  long series I 
looked deeper.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/
"Guessing tree name failed - patch did not apply"

Looking at the nipa source, series_tree_name_direct() matches the cover
letter subject against _trees.keys(). Since ipsec and ipsec-next are not
in the deployed conf_trees, the match fails and nipa falls back to
guessing against net-next. I am guessing ipsec-next is missing in the config too.
Where is the config nipa runs use? I didn't find the exact config nipa bot 
used.

I also noticed that my v8 (series 1089594) was identified as
net-next — it applied to net-next at the time, which masked the issue.
v9 no longer applies to net-next, so the guessing failed visibly this
time. 

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/

Any idea what could be improved? Is it because the e-mails arrive out or 
order?

Would it make sense to add ipsec and ipsec-next to nipa's [trees] config?
That way series_tree_name_direct() could match them directly from the
cover letter subject rather than falling through to guessing.

Thanks,
Antony