Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/2] rust: netlink: add raw netlink abstraction

From: Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2026 10:00:40 +0000

On Tue, May 26, 2026 at 04:29:26PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2026 at 3:17 PM Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > This implements a safe and relatively simple API over the netlink API,
> > that allows you to add different attributes to a netlink message and
> > broadcast it. As the first user of this API only makes use of broadcast,
> > only broadcast messages are supported here.
> 
> >  rust/kernel/netlink.rs          | 336 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 
> This should be added to an existing or new `MAINTAINERS` entry, i.e.
> as usual, either inheriting it if the maintainers want, or delegating
> it to a sub- or co-maintainer, etc. depending on what people want.

Netdev maintainers, what do you prefer that I put for these files? I'm
of course happy to be on the hook for this code.

We can either add it under an existing entry, or we could add a new one
along these lines:

NETWORKING [RUST]
M:	Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]>
L:	[email-masked]
L:	[email-masked]
S:	Supported
F:	rust/helpers/genetlink.c
F:	rust/kernel/netlink.rs

Of course, it would be useful to have others listed here, as I'm sure I
will have questions about how networking works if there are patches in
this area. Or perhaps the netdev@ list itself is enough for that to
reach the right people?

With regards to actually merging code in this area, then I think for
this particular series it is simpler to let Greg take it through
char-misc with all the other Binder changes. But for any future changes
to netlink.rs, I think it makes sense for them to land through the
netdev tree.

Thoughts?

Alice