Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/2] rust: netlink: add raw netlink abstraction

From: Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2026 06:25:48 +0000

On Wed, May 27, 2026 at 07:21:30PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2026 10:00:40 +0000 Alice Ryhl wrote:
> > On Tue, May 26, 2026 at 04:29:26PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> > > On Mon, May 25, 2026 at 3:17 PM Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]> wrote:  
> > > >
> > > > This implements a safe and relatively simple API over the netlink API,
> > > > that allows you to add different attributes to a netlink message and
> > > > broadcast it. As the first user of this API only makes use of broadcast,
> > > > only broadcast messages are supported here.  
> > >   
> > > >  rust/kernel/netlink.rs          | 336 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  
> > > 
> > > This should be added to an existing or new `MAINTAINERS` entry, i.e.
> > > as usual, either inheriting it if the maintainers want, or delegating
> > > it to a sub- or co-maintainer, etc. depending on what people want.  
> 
> Good call, missed this isn't under rust/kernel/net
> 
> > Netdev maintainers, what do you prefer that I put for these files? I'm
> > of course happy to be on the hook for this code.
> 
> Can we put it under rust/kernel/net and rust/helpers/net ?
> And then add those directories to networking ?
> Just so that we don't have to keep wondering with every little piece 
> of code.

Sure, will do.

However, it doesn't look like rust/kernel/net/ is listed under any
MAINTAINERS entry either.

> > Of course, it would be useful to have others listed here, as I'm sure I
> > will have questions about how networking works if there are patches in
> > this area. Or perhaps the netdev@ list itself is enough for that to
> > reach the right people?
> > 
> > With regards to actually merging code in this area, then I think for
> > this particular series it is simpler to let Greg take it through
> > char-misc with all the other Binder changes. But for any future changes
> > to netlink.rs, I think it makes sense for them to land through the
> > netdev tree.
> 
> SG, once acked it can go via any tree. Greg's tree make sense.

SG, thanks!

Alice