Subject: Re: [Patch RFC net-next] net: usb: r8152: Fix rx_bytes/tx_bytes to include FCS

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 10:00:36 -0700

On 05/18/2017 08:22 AM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:09:25 +0200
> 
>> Since these are software counters, they can be consistent. From a
>> practical point of view, i doubt they ever will all be consistent,
>> there are simply too many drivers to test and change if
>> needed. However, for the ones somebody cares about, they can be made
>> consistent.
>>
>> I care about r8152, and would like to make it consistent with asix,
>> dsa, e1000e.
> 
> No objection from me for making software counters consistent.
> 

No objection for me as well, but I think we need to agree on what these
software counters represent, since there are several cases:

- BQL cares about bytes sent on the wire, so that should not include
pre/appended descriptors nor the FCS (nor the Ethernet preamble),
tx_bytes should be equivalent to that

- if we don't include the FCS on transmit, why should we include it on
receive? rx_bytes should have the same rules as tx_bytes: no
status/descriptor bytes, no FCS etc.
-- 
Florian