Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 04/11] wimax: fix duplicate initializer warning

From: "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 14:51:37 +0000

> From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
> 
> Makes sense. I checked
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WiMAX_networks, and it appears
> that these entries are all stale, after everyone has migrated to LTE
> or discontinued their service altogether.
> 
> NetworkManager appears to have dropped userspace support in 2015
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=747846, the
> www.linuxwimax.org site had already shut down earlier.
> 
> WiMax is apparently still being deployed on airport campus
> networks ("AeroMACS"), but in a frequency band that was not
> supported by the old Intel 2400m (used in Sandy Bridge laptops
> and earlier), which is the only driver using the kernel's wimax
> stack.
> 
> Inaky, do you have any additional information about possible
> users? If we are sure there are none, then I'd suggest removing
> all the wimax code directly, otherwise it could go through
> drivers/staging/ for a release or two (and move it back in case
> there are users after all). I can send a patch if you like.

I have not

Every now and then I get the occasional message from a student or
researcher asking for support about a production network, but they
have dwindled in the last years.

My vote would be to scrap the whole thing; if there are die hard
users, they can always rise up and move it back from staging.