Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/5] Remove uses of kmap_atomic()

From: Anirudh Venkataramanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:06:09 -0800

On 11/22/2022 10:50 AM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:29:03 +0200 Leon Romanovsky wrote:
>>>   drivers/net/ethernet/sun/cassini.c            | 40 ++++++-------------
>>>   drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunvnet_common.c     |  4 +-
>>
>> Dave, Jakub, Paolo
>> I wonder if these drivers can be simply deleted.
> 
> My thought as well. It's just a matter of digging thru the history,
> platform code and the web to find potential users and contacting them.

I did a little bit of digging on these two files. Here's what I found.

For the cassini driver, I don't see any recent patches that fix an end 
user visible issue. There are clean ups, updates to use newer kernel 
APIs, and some build/memory leak fixes. I checked as far back as 2011. 
There are web references to some issues in kernel v2.6. I didn't see 
anything more recent.

The code in sunvnet_common.c seems to be common code that's used by

[1] "Sun4v LDOM Virtual Switch Driver" (ldmvsw.c, kconfig flag 
CONFIG_LDMVSW)

[2] "Sun LDOM virtual network driver" (sunvnet.c, kconfig flag 
CONFIG_SUNVNET).

These two seem to have had some feature updates around 2017, but 
otherwise the situation is the same as cassini.

Ani