Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next 4/6] samples/bpf: Remove the xdp1 and xdp2 utilities

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:04:41 +0200

On 22/08/2023 18.56, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On 22/08/2023 16.22, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>>> The functionality of these utilities have been incorporated into the
>>> xdp-bench utility in xdp-tools. Remove the unmaintained versions in
>>> samples.
>>>
>>
>> I think it will be worth our time if we give some examples of how the
>> removed utility translates to some given xdp-bench commands.  There is
>> not a 1-1 mapping.
>>
>> XDP driver changes need to be verified on physical NIC hardware, so
>> these utilities are still being run by QA.  I know Red Hat, Intel and
>> Linaro QA people are using these utilities.  It will save us time if we
>> can reference a commit message instead of repeatable describing this.
>> E.g. for Intel is it often contingent workers that adds a tested-by
>> (that all need to update their knowledge).
> 
> I did think about putting that in the commit message for these, but I
> figured it was too obscure a place to put it, compared to (for instance)
> putting it into the xdp-bench man page.
> 
> If you prefer to have it in the commit message as well, I can respin
> adding it - WDYT?
> 

It is super nice that xdp-bench already have a man page, but I was 
actually looking at this and it was a bit overwhelming (520 lines) 
explaining every possible option.

I really think its worth giving examples in the commit, to ease the 
transition to this new tool.

--Jesper
p.s. man page is generated from the readme [1]:
  [1] 
https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/blob/master/xdp-bench/README.org